Thursday, November 20, 2008

Will the real mentors PLEASE stand up?

At the risk of being trite, and just to make sure we are starting at the same point, I understand and share the definition of mentor with Webster’s: men·tor \men'-tor, -tər\ a. : a trusted counselor or guide b: tutor , coach. My expectations for this role mirror this definition. Being a mentor infers that the person is qualified to teach or guide, wouldn’t you agree? I mean, a know-it-all simply won’t do.

A mentor needs street cred. They have to exude authority—not in all aspects of their life, but in the area(s) they are counseling or guiding. If I need marriage advice, I would choose Bill Cosby over George Costanza. If I needed parenting advice, I would choose Tim Tebow’s momma over Britney Spear’s. These role models have authority not because they have assumed the role, but because their competency is evidenced by their success.

In addition to legitimate authority, a mentor must be willing to convey his or her wisdom to others unconditionally. Sure there are those who call themselves coaches, but typically that comes with a price in the literal sense. That condition, that exchange for guidance, diminishes the “trusted” part of the definition for me.

I had a mentor who was my boss, although he wasn’t my direct supervisor. My direct supervisor reviewed my work. My boss encouraged my growth. For example, daily he would read The Wall Street Journal, mark it up with his insights and humorous comments, then he would circulate it to his staff. Besides conveying job-related information to us, he fostered an environment where we could flourish. Even though I haven't been in contact with Dev in over 20 years, and he remains a consummate mentor.

No comments: